Friday 20 January 2012

Rhythm of the Saint

I have just watched a Paul Simon concert on BBC4,filmed last June in the States. I realised that it's about twenty years ago that I saw him live. The Arena in Sheffield opened as a new concert venue in about 1991. The first artist to play there was Paul Simon, with one of the best bands I have ever seen live. He had already enjoyed renewed success with Graceland, but I had fallen in love with Rhythm of the Saints and its Brazilian influences. I first came across Milton Nascimento on that album, and I had a little fantasy that he might be a surprise guest on that tour. Sadly he wasn't, but the musicians on stage that night made up for any disappointment I felt. We were about ten rows back from the front, and the atmosphere was wonderful.
Paul Simon seemed old twenty years ago ! - no offence meant, but I had grown up with his music from childhood. To see him tonight, in the film of last year's concert, he didn't seemed to have lost anything in those years - in fact he had gained another amazing group of musicians, and a whole new generation in the audience.
Back in Sheffield all those years ago, the Arena was brand new, and the security people were taking their role a little too seriously.
We were probably a well behaved audience too, watching an old musical hero in unfamiliar arena surroundings. As the band struck up 'Call me Al', Paul Simon encouraged us to 'dance for the Arena'. I guess he knew his was the first concert to be held there. We needed no further encouragement. Everyone got to their feet.
I went to other concerts at the Arena over the next few years, Dire Straits. Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan and Van the man. I came to dislike it as a venue. I couldn't see the point of going to a live concert where you relied on cameras and screens to see the musicians.
My love affair with Brazilian music was influenced by Paul Simon and I have him to thank for that.
We went to the concert with our Sheffield neighbours. Alan had once given Art Garfunkel a lift when he came across him hitching on the outskirts of Sheffied, and my then husband had missed the chance to jam with Paul Simon at a folk club on the outskirts of Liverpool back in the early sixties, because he was 'washing his hair'! Happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment