Monday 5 March 2012

I'm a believer

I was really sad to hear of the death of Davy Jones, the Manchester Monkee. I never saw him or any of the Monkees live, but I did once have a conversation with his dad! The Monkees were at the height of their popularity with their TV show. Somehow my friend, Judy Stokoe, and I got hold of Davy Jones' home phone number in Manchester. It can't have been as simple as looking for a Jones in the Manchester phone book. We dared ourselves to make the call at her house one afternoon. The phone was answered, and one of us said 'Hello, is Davy in?' I think it must have been me, because I can recall the polite and patient response - 'No, I'm sorry. He's in America filming.' But if Judy wants to claim it was her, I'll believe her. No speaker phones in those days - maybe we were just very close to the earpiece!
And not only were phones different, but so was the whole TV experience - if you were a fan of the Monkees you had no choice but to be in front of your television early on a Saturday evening - no i player, no videos, no DVDs, no youtube - if you missed it, you missed it.You daren't miss it!
My sister told me a friend of the mother of her son's ex-fiancee ( nearly six degrees of separation there!) claimed to have been engaged to Davy before he left for the States. I'm sure she wasn't the only girl in Manchester to try and lay claim.

No comments:

Post a Comment