Wednesday 12 September 2012

A lazy bastard living in a suit

Lazy Bastard As I mentioned in my last post, I was going to see another poet who sings. You may have guessed that this was Leonard Cohen. We had booked tickets for Hop Farm, but the venue was changed. Thanks to my friend’s quick response to the news, we were able to get seats 11 rows back from the stage at Wembley. Not even far enough back to see the big screens! As the woman behind me said “I’ve waited 47 years for this!” I first heard Leonard Cohen on one of the Rock Machine albums back in the day, and his mournfully beautiful songs were the soundtrack to a period of teenage angst, whenever I needed to indulge in a bit of the old misery. I rediscovered him about 20 years ago with ‘I’m Your Man’ and grew to love the golden voice, the wry and regretful lyrics and the amazing musical arrangements of his new work. On Sunday night he literally hopped, skipped and jumped onto the stage, often kneeling to sing. The first time he did it, I felt a bit panicky that a man of his age (78 I’m told) might not be able to get back up, but like the Dalai Lama, he is very sprightly. He is more than sprightly – he is remarkable. It was a 3 hour performance with a half hour break. We needed the half hour to get through the queue for the Ladies – it seemed it was more for us than him. The musicians were amazing – have a look at the line up for the new album to follow them up. It was beautifully staged, with amazing lighting. Intriguing projections of two of his paintings during the intervals, and elegant draped curtains suffused with colours during the songs. The musicians could have been dwarfed by the height of the backdrop, but their silhouettes were dramatic as they crossed the stage and re grouped between numbers. Even the roadies wore homburgs! The backing singers were stunning, elegant in masculine suits, choreographed and graceful. The Webb sisters even did a synchronised cartwheel at one point! No end to their talents! Sharon Robinson’s solo ‘Alexandra Leaving’ was breathtaking. Old and new songs, all arranged and performed beautifully, elegantly. Leonard Cohen was measured, respectful of the songs, the audience and his fellow performers. It was curiously old fashioned, European, well mannered and respectful with more than a hint of the gypsy. No spitting, swearing or sweating here. It would have been my concert of the year if I hadn’t seen Patti Smith two days before. But I can’t turn back the clock and I am changed forever. ‘I love to speak with Leonard, he’s a sportsman and a shepherd, he’s a lazy bastard living in a suit’. No lazy bastard on stage on Sunday, and how strange that the image of a shepherd should come up in the lyrics of another poet who sings.

No comments:

Post a Comment