Friday 23 August 2013

Four seasons

Not long after I moved to Sheffield, back in 1990, I went to the City Hall to see Nigel Kennedy perform Vivaldi's Four Seasons. He was at one of his many peaks of fame, the young punk classical musician. Pretty girls ran to the front of the stage with flowers and gifts. The energy and musicianship he brought to the piece will always be a part of it, no matter how many times it's used for call centre on hold muzak. Next time I saw him was on This is Your Life. His girlfriend was a woman I had last seen on the arm of Mark E Smith of the Fall when I refused them entry to a gig. A'don't you know who I am' moment.Over the years I have been aware of his career, his exploration of other forms of music, his fearlessness as a musician. One of the down sides of my wonderful new job is that I can no longer stay awake to listen to Late Junction on Radio 3. I used to love falling asleep to its eclectic mix of music. My 6.15am start to the day means no matter how hard I try, I'm asleep within minutes. A few weeks ago I drifted in and out of sleep listening to what I recognised as the Four Seasons but not as I'd ever heard it. I wasn't sure if I was imagining the mix of jazz and Arabic music that threaded and wove through the high energy Vivaldi. I heard the announcer say it was Nigel Kennedy and all seemed to make sense. Tonight I have had the treat of watching that prom on BBC 4. Nigel Kennedy still looks like he wouldn't be out of place with the Bash St Kids. His energy, enthusiasm and encouragement of a wonderful ensemble of young Palestinian musicians is the most moving and inspiring thing I have seen on television for a long time. Catch it if you can on I player.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me to listen to the Four Seasons prom - it is terrific. Late Junction is really toooo late nowadays. I have taken to using iplayer for that all the time. It's especially good when doing the ironing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try and listen on I player too, but I loved the surreal late night mix as I dozed off. Note to self - do more ironing!

    ReplyDelete