Sunday 13 October 2013

Don't Look Back

Today I went to an event organised by the Manchester and District Music Archive.Play/Record was part of the Manchester Weekender. To celebrate 10 years of the archive, the MDMA were invited to put on an exhibition at the Lowry, Defining me : Musical Adventure in Manchester . It's a great way of sharing some of the stories through people's private collections and reminiscences. It's the tip of an iceberg in that everyone who connects to the Manchester music scene, whatever their age, their era, or their tribe, has their own tale to tell. Visitors could take their own items - tickets, posters, flyers and the like to be scanned for uploading and sharing on the MDMA website. I took some of the random bits and pieces I have, mostly dating from the late 1960s through the early 70s and kept in a particular 'treasure box'. It's amazing that they have survived when so much has been lost or thrown away. One of the items is this half of a ticket from a showing of the Bob Dylan film, Don't Look Back. Deciphering the ticket, I can see it was promoted by the Magic Village and therefore by Roger Eagle. It was shown at Houldsworth Hall on Deansgate, a useful venue back then. I didn't know the date. Last Wednesday I met up with one of my oldest friends, oldest in that we met on our first day at school. I mentioned the half ticket. She recalled that we had gone to see the film on her 16th birthday. She remembered that she was wearing pink cords and chelsea boots. It must have been June 21st 1969. I enjoy looking back to where I have come from, at the influences that have shaped my life. A massive part of that process for me is to do with music. It's how I found my friends and my life has a soundtrack. I know which songs I want played at my funeral. My taste in music and my musical memories still define me. As I look back I wonder what's influencing me now. I seem to be rediscovering old favourites, making sure I go and see the artists I have loved for many years. Even 'new to me' artists like the Mountain Goats last Wednesday night or Public Service Broadcasting in a couple of weeks are old favourites for other people. I don't believe it's an age thing. I have always been open to discovering the new. Maybe there's just too much choice nowadays. I have been reading around the Manchester music scene and it feels as if it's not just me who is looking back. I wonder what is the present and the future. Answers on a torn off ticket stub please.

No comments:

Post a Comment