Thursday 12 December 2013

Woman

It's been a good week for music and women singers, starting with my interview with Stella Grundy on Saturday morning, a fascinating performer and writer. Then I went to our Archives+ Christmas event in the fabulous Rates Hall in the Town Hall. The lovely Manchester Community Choir performed some seasonal songs and also led the audience in a tribute to Nelson Mandela.A special shared experience. It was great to sing his praises. On Tuesday night I went to see Neko Case and her fantastic band at the Royal Northern College of Music. It was a spur of the moment, last minute, buy the ticket on the way home from work arrangement. Not only was she a treat, but she was supported by Lucy Wainwright Roche, who shared some great insights into a Wainwright family Christmas - everyone gives copies of their latest CDs , and then tries to guess who the songs are referring to! And last night I went to see the Picturehouse choir do their Christmas performance. They meet weekly at Band on the Wall and I have been curious about them for a while, not least because I miss my singing class in Bakewell now I am working in Manchester. They had invited a guest choir, WAST. That stands for Women Asylum Seekers Together. What a joyous group they were, sharing their stories through song. Nelson Mandela's praises were sung by both choirs last night too. It's been a week to experience the power of music. It's also been a reminder of how far we have come, and how far we still have to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment