Monday 16 April 2012

One good thing to come out of Guantanamo Bay

Last week a film company location manager got in touch with where I work. They gave some information about the film, including the main stars. One was an actress called Sienna Guillory. Now I had followed her career with some interest over the years because back in May 1997 I had been to a local folk club at the Miners Standard in Winster to see her father play. He was Isaac Guillory, a favourite on the South Yorkshire folk scene, exotic, good looking and a hugely talented singer and guitarist. I know it was probably May 30th 1997, because he told us that his friend's son, Jeff Buckley, had just drowned.He sang a song for him. He also mentioned his daughter Sienna, which was a coincidence as some friends of mine who were there also had a daughter called Sienna. He sang a song for them. So I can remember where I was and who I was with when I heard the sad news about Jeff Buckley.
In an odd twist, I know where I was and who I was with when I heard that Tim Buckley had died back in June 1975 - I was watching the Old Grey Whistle Test in a holiday cottage in Port Isaac. Bob Harris played a clip of him singing Fred Neil's 'Dolphins'.
Guantanamo Bay comes into the picture because Isaac Guillory was Cuban, and he was born there. I once told someone who asked me to sign a petition against Guantanamo that there was only one good thing to come out of there- luckily he knew who I was talking about. Two fans sharing a moment.
Isaac Guillory died in 2000, way too young, of complications from undiagnosed cancer apparently.
The film crew decided to film elsewhere.
I never got the chance to talk to Sienna about her father.

No comments:

Post a Comment