Sunday 1 July 2012

Seven years - but not in Tibet

Last week a friend teased me about posting so many links to the Dalai Lama's status on facebook. I sometimes find myself trying to explain why I am such a fan. So this isn't a musical historic gig guide. It's about when and why I have seen the Dalai Lama over the last seven years. I read Heinrich Harrer's book 'Seven Years in Tibet' as a child - probably aged about 9 - and I was entranced by the picture he painted of Lhasa and the young Dalai Lama.I longed to be part of that world, and as my interest in religions and spiritual practices grew, I was even more intrigued. When my children were young travel literature was my escape, and I couldn't get enough of books about Tibet, Nepal, the Tibetan community and the Dalai Lama. I never imagined that I would actually see him. One Sunday evening I watched Michael Palin talking to him on the TV programme he made about India. I had a sudden insight that I could go to India for a short holiday, and that I could take my then 11 year old son with me.We could visit Dharamsala, where the Tibetan government in exile was based. So that's what we did - and as luck would have it, the Dalai Lama was there, teaching Buddhist monks and nuns from all over the world in his home temple. We got passes to go in and see him, and in one week we saw him twice, and Charlie received a blessing from him. A once in a lifetime experience - or so I thought. That was in 2005. In 2007 I heard he was coming to Nottingham the following year, and I bought tickets for Charlie and I to go and see him in May 2008. Very different surroundings, very different circumstances. An arena more used to Disney on Ice and pop concerts. But there were thousands of people there who cared about how they lived, and how they behaved, and I really needed to be part of that on that particular weekend as I was raw from finding out just how treacherous my ex partner had been. I felt as fragile as I have ever felt in my life, and the simple and compassionate advice my son and I took in that day has served us both well ever since. Then a couple of weeks ago we went to a public talk given by him at the Manchester MEN Arena. A much lighter hearted occasion for us, travelling with friends, no dramas or traumas, just looking forward to seeing the man who holds a special place in our lives and hearts. His talk seemed even more down to earth - simple common sense about patience,caring for others, recognising that we are all in it together. He delivers his talks, and answers the questions presented to him by the audience with charm, humour and a light kind of wisdom, based on a deep and complex tradition.He stood to talk for the first hour, and his stamina was impressive. He is optimistic about developments in China, and the impact they will have on Tibet's future. He is working with educationalists in India and elsewhere to develop a secular approach to ethical living, and world peace. I feel very lucky to have seen him in person four times in the last seven years, and I no longer think - 'this could be the last chance'. I look forward to the next opportunity with a great deal of optimism for him and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment