Wednesday 4 July 2012

Under African Skies

Last night I went to the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester to see Mamane Barka and Etran Finatawa in concert. Before their performance a documentary about their work in Niger was shown - Endless Journey. They take the traditional music of Niger to the younger generation through a series of workshops and performances in schools. And then they showed us how it was done. The conventional theatre setting of the RNCM felt too formal, especially having just watched film of the kind of reception they received back in Niger. After the interval a few of us got up and danced at the front, to the side of the stage. It was the least we could do to thank them. And when do you get a chance to dance with desert musicians? When I went back to retrieve my coat and bag from my seat,I joked that it was one of those things to do before you die. My neighbour said - No - it's what stops you from dying - it keeps you alive. On Saturday we had the well established international Day of Dance in Bakewell. Sosa-Xa, a group of singers and dancers from Sheffield,who perform South African songs and dances were part of the programme. They have been a vibrant part of the Day of Dance for many years, and sadly their director died earlier this year. They held a celebratory memorial concert for him. It meant a lot to everyone who was there. Tonight I caught up with the Imagine documentary on the making of Paul Simon's album Graceland. What a lot of controversy and creativity that caused. It seems even more remarkable to consider what it achieved with hindsight. There was film of Miriam Makeba and as she sang I felt my eyes fill with tears. Back in 1991 - I think - I went to see her at the Free Trade Hall. I had two young children, I lived out of town, I was on a course and staying with a friend - a rare night away from home, and someone gave us tickets. She was absolutely amazing - I had never seen anyone like her. She performed as a traditional South African singer, and then as an international jazz cabaret artist. It was a stunning experience, and her beautiful presence and voice is unforgettable. As I write this, the monsoon rain is pouring down once more. It seems a long way from under African skies. The Endless Journey concert was part of a summer of events celebrating West African culture in Manchester - We Face Forward. Don't miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment