Sunday 18 November 2012

Cut the cake and pick up the pieces

Yesterday BBC's Flog It! came to film where I work, Haddon Hall in Derbyshire. One of my colleagues had been doing a bit of research on Paul Martin the presenter. She told me that he had played drums with the Average White Band when he was younger. Earlier this year I went to see the Titanic Odyssey celebrations in Liverpool - the amazing Little Girl Giant and her Uncle.On the way home on the train a kind young man offered me his seat. We got talking and our conversation ranged from his family connections to the Titanic, his love of Icelandic music, his imminent move to Germany, and the fact that his parents were friendly with one of the Average White Band. A memorable random train conversation. Back in the spring I went to a local folk night in a tiny rugby club venue to see Chris Wood, one of my favourite singers. He also mentioned Average White Band, as he had recently played at a festival with one of the members. Back in my Drive In Rock days we played on the same bill as the Average White Band in their early 70s glory days. I got the chance to ask Paul Martin about his connection with them, and our paths hadn't crossed on stage back then - he is much too young - but I find this a particularly interesting example of 6 degrees of separation!

2 comments:

  1. Well, blow me down! Last night I was watching and old(ish) film and Pick up the Pieces was part of the sound track. I was racking my feeble brain to remember the name of the band but now you've revealed it. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete