Sunday 2 January 2011

First group I went to see

I listened to Annie Lennox on the radio yesterday - she chose Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks as one of her all time important tracks.
She reminded me of how important the Kinks are to the development of contemporary music and song writing. They were the first group I ever saw. It would have been 1964, I think, and they were on a package tour at the Eccles Broadway. The Broadway was a cinema, and I don't remember there being concerts on there again. I'm convinced that Marianne Faithful was on the same bill, accompanied by a guitarist who could have been John Williams. There was also a singer called Bobby Shafto. the Kinks wore their matching pink jackets and were fantastic. What a privilege to have seen them back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment