Sunday 9 January 2011

Terry Reid

I knew inspiration would come thick and fast for this particular blog. I have scrawled pages of band names and associated memories in a big notebook, so I don't forget who I want to write about. A song heard on the radio by chance, news of an untimely death, buying tickets for gigs in Spring 2011, connecting with old friends - it's all going to prompt me.
Last week my old friend C P Lee posted a link to Terry Reid's new Irish tour on Facebook.
In the mid 60s there was a fantastic run of package tours in Manchester. A theatre was a more respectable venue for a young teenage girl to visit- I didn't hit the basement dives until I was about 15. My friends and I saw an amazing range of artists including the Small Faces,the Beach Boys, Gene Pitney, Roy Orbison, Dave Dee etc, the wonderful Walker Brothers ( oh how we screamed for Scott). On one of the package tours, at the Odeon as I remember, there was a band with a great young singer - Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers. The singer was Terry Reid. The single was The Hand don't fit the Glove, and he was unforgettable. In the early 70s I rediscovered him as a solo artist, and some years ago ( before Spotify, Youtube and even Amazon) my lovely children tracked down River on CD for me for Mothers' Day.
I'd like to try and see him again this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment