Thursday 13 January 2011

The Durutti Column

I have just got tickets for the Durutti Column at the Bridgewater Hall on April 30th. I can't remember how many times I have seen or heard them in the distant past, but I think this will be the fourth time in the last ten years or so. Many years ago my former boyfriend was their roadie. A few years later I lived next door to Bruce Mitchell and Vini Reilly with my former husband. The band would occasionally rehearse at home - very civilised, Bruce would come round to let us know, and it was always during the day. The houses were semi detached, so Vini's room shared the wall with our bedroom. I had my two older children at home in that house, and when I was giving birth to Vicky, Vini was playing guitar next door, unaware of what was going on. It's 26 years ago on January 26th! Unbelievable. The midwife who attended me was very impressed - her son was a big fan. As Vicky and Jamie grew up, they discovered the Durutti Column and I was able to tell Vick this story. We moved from that house in 1987, but they have met up with Vini at one of his concerts. The Durutti Column name came from an anarchist group known as the Movement of the 24th January, according to Tony Wilson - another connection, as that's my birthday! I'm looking forward to seeing them at the Bridgewater Hall - it will be an interesting venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment