Monday 7 February 2011

Box of Rain and the Grateful Dead

Listening to Bob Harris' radio programme on Friday night, I had fallen asleep to the sound of the wind and rain outside. Wild weather continues this week, though I have just seen the glimmering of a faint rainbow across the valley outside. I woke from my half conscious state to hear him play the Dead's Box of Rain. What a wonderful sound. I was transported back to other half conscious times I'd heard that lovely blend of psychedelic country folk. In fact much of my favourite music now is of that genre - Vetiver and Devendra Banhart come immediately to mind. I know I saw the Grateful Dead twice, but I'm not sure I was really concentrating. Bickershaw Festival in May 1972 was the first time. More rain than would fill a box there. I was working in On the 8th Day's Joe's Cafe. We were pitched between the stage and Caroline Coon's Release tent. A great spot. We were constantly busy serving rice and veg, muesli and hot drinks. There was an element of a disaster area about the site, though it was an amazing festival. I have clear memories of Dr John, Hawkwind and Captain Beefheart - and of course the man who did a high dive into a tub of water!. If the Dead's set really lasted as long as they say on the websites, I probably did a couple of shifts and slept a few hours during the time they were on.
So many friends were Dead heads back in the day . I remember someone's motorbike petrol tank painted with the American Beauty album cover design.
In September 1974, whilst I was at Leeds university, and newly married for the first time, a group of us went to Ally Pally for one of the three nights of concerts. Again, it's a bit of a blur. I do remember the panic on the M6 on the outskirts of Manchester. The conversation had turned to who actually had the tickets in their possession - and of course they had been left at home. We still made it to the concert. Happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment